Thursday, September 24, 2009


I rarely dream, or at least I rarely remember them. But this morning at 4 am I woke with a start. I had a horrible dream. And as they always do when I am pregnant they involve my children.

Grayson and I were down the road at our neighborhood farm picking berries when he noticed a semi truck. It was mostly empty and noone was around to ask if we could go in, so we did. (not my normal course of action in this case but what is in a dream?) As soon as we were in the back of the trailer, the doors slammed shut and locked. I started screaming and banging on the walls. I could hear someone out side talking, saying California...CALIFORNIA?! Is that where this truck was headed?! Grayson was crying by this point and I wanted to. It was VERY dark. I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face much less him. I continued to bang on the walls as the engine started and we started to move. I freaked out. I found G and scooped him up. And we both sat. Just in time too otherwise we would have been knocked flat as we picked up speed.

Suddenly I realized if we were going to get out of this alive, I was going to have to stop panicing and figure something out. I then realized I had my phone in my BRA-cket. I always take it picking in case I need to take a picture. Yay! So I pulled it out, and while trying to feel our turns I called 9-1-1. I told the dispatcher where I thought we were headed, and on what road. I told her the color of the truck and any other describing features I could remember and oh by the way I have my two year old with me and I am 6 months pregnant! I stayed on the line while I pulled up my gps on my iphone and told her about where we were. (I was thankful for iphone in that instance!)

Not long later I heard sirens and they were right behind us. But the truck wasn't stopping. Finally we came to a screeching halt. I set down G and started banging and screaming for help again. I could hear the driver being hauled out and cuffed, then the officers trying to open the door. It was locked and padlocked. The driver really had not intended to let us out until he saw fit. They told me to stand way back and it was bashed in and then pealed off by some sort of jars of life machine.

The light was blinding after being in pitch black for so long. I jumped down and ran into my husbands arms (9-1-1 had called I guess :).

Seems like a great ending right? Except that wasn't the FIRST ending...

Oh no. The first ending was where I woke up with a start, cause I had to pee in the dream (and in real life- gotta love how it builds in to the dream!) and we were actually racing half way through Oregon on I5 before I got my phone to work and remembered we had gps. We had been in that truck for hours and I had a semi dead phone battery. Of coarse! Its like the girl going up the stairs instead of out the front door in a horror movie.

I got up to go to the bathroom, thinking it would end there. Oh No! I got back in bed, shut my eyes and wouldn't you know it started right in the middle, giving me an alternative ending, just in case I wasn't done. So I snapped back awake and tossed and turned for a while, thinking about all the other things I could be doing...blogging came to mind.

20 minutes later I tried sleep again, only to end up with a shorter but worse version. The truck rolled and we were ejected. It wasn't pretty, in either of the two versions of that. :(

Finally I fell asleep and dreamed the last version of jumping into Zack's arms and everyone being ok. Then sleep was easy. And Grayson even slept in a little bit. But I was never more happy to see his smiling little face when he came in to say, FEED ME!

No comments: