Monday, May 11, 2009


Today was my first day of work at Target. I am on the flow team which basically makes sure everything gets off the truck and onto the shelves. It starts at 4am. Yes, you read that right. I had to be at work at 4am. My shift is normally going to be scheduled until 8 am but basically they ask if you can stay if all the product is not out or put away yet. Today I stayed until 9.

Last night I got ready for my early morning, set out my clothes, made a smoothie for the morning, packed my snacks and lunch (just in case I had to stay), and set my alarm for 3 am! I tried to go to bed at 830 but after basic procrastination and such I ended up in my bed about 9. Then I stared at the ceiling counting the minutes of sleep I wasn't getting. I don't remember when I finally fell asleep but I layed there a while.

3 am my alarm went off and I got up! No snooze button even! Then I got ready with more time than I even needed I got to Target 10 minutes before I needed to be there.

I even managed to remember how to clock in and had memorized my team member number between the car and building!

They had me work the truck unload line first and that was very sweaty, box lifty work. A decent work out I must say. No worries on the lifting. Everything is packaged in relatively smaller boxes, and if its not you are supposed to ask a team member for help.

After that I got to try my hand at some box sorting and putting the boxes next to their shelves for unpacking. I had some great people helping me learn so it went pretty quickly. We had a quick break and back to work getting things cleaned up and put away so it was relatively tidy when the store opened at 8.

Overall it was good. I have few complaints. I was told tomorrow is paperwork, though I have no idea what they could possibly have to say on paper that they didn't say in the 5 1/2 hours of orientation last week! I'll keep you posted!

I never knew it took such hard work to get products on the shelf for me to buy.
I love Target.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That actually sounds like a fun job. I have always thought that working after hours in a store stocking and organizing like that would be fun. Looking forward to more updates.