share

Friday, October 23, 2009

Handmade swap

I am on an online chat group. It all started with gdiapers yahoo group. We were all a part of it. We chatted, got to know each other and broke off 2 years later into our own little group. There is about 25 of us from all over the country. There are maybe 5-6 of us in Portland that get together every now and then but mostly we just chat online.

Its a lovely group of woman who compliment each other in ways not often found In Real Life (IRL). We are always supportive, never judgmental and always open to conversation and discussion. It's honestly one of the few places I air everything. Seriously, you thought I was open here... you ain't seen nothing! They knew first that I was pregnant again. They have known first when I was struggling with life and its hardships. It is an amazingly safe place. Oddly enough if someone had told me a few years ago that I would have friends online I would have laughed myself right out of the conversation. CRAZY talk.

But really, I hope to someday meet them all IRL.

Recently, we tried something new. A handmade/homemade swap. Anything under $20 (roughly) and you could make whatever you want or let your giftee participate in the fun and choose something. That is what I did. I was to send my handmade items to Lindsey and she decided she wanted some trainers for her little girl. My stupid serger is still wonky so it took longer than planned, and have a few flaws, but here they are...



On the other side of the swap, today I received this super cute Wool diaper cover from Natalie! I love it. I have always wanted to try one but the expense and/or lack of pattern has held me back. Natalie made this one out of a repurposed Abercrombie sweater. It is sooo soft! I can't wait to use it on Hotdog.


When I showed G he was SURE it was a hat and for him! Hopefully I can wrangle it from him for Hotdog's bum before Hotdog grows into it.



For those not in the know, wool is great as a cloth diaper cover because it does not leak when properly lanolized which is the natural water proof quality sheep/wool has. It resists buildup of urine making it the perfect fabric all on its own. It's also very breathable and cozy.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Those trainers are adorable!!!

And I feel exactly the same way about our little group. If you would have asked me a few years ago if I would be part of a chat group and LOVING it, I would have said you were crazy because I wasn't even sure what a chat group was and how it worked! Our group is the BEST!!!