Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Bearskin Meadow Camp (2)

continued from here...
 On Tuesday, the camp gives the parents the opportunity to leave camp and go explore the area without our children since these opportunities are so rare at home for most t1d families. (we are lucky, we have found an amazing sitter who has t1d as well and is comfortable watching all of our children!) Zack and I went to Hume Lake snack shop for milkshakes, which are AMAZING!!! I had cookies and cream and he had a chocolate malt shake. Then we walked down to the water and wandered around a bit. 

Random side note: If you are Christian and plan to send your children to the Christian camp at Hume Lake (in California) do some extensive research. We found about 5000 teens and about 5 adults... it is also rumored to have a very high teen conception rate. 0_o 

Later that night, after the World Cup (camp theme, which really left me befuddled from the start) dinner, we had the costume camp dance. The kids had a blast! Grayson worked on his break dancing skills which he decided that night he would show off in the talent show the next day and Torin showed off his Gangnam style dance and general tushie shaking. Jax, le sigh, Jax wandered around with a stick and played in the dirt. lol Apparently, dancing isn't his bag, baby! :P

Something very different from home is that every night there is a snack at 830 as a group. At home our kids are in bed long before then with dinner not much earlier so neither dinner nor it's insulin (for G) has had time to process fully to need a night snack. After the dance, the kids had ice cream to help with all the energy they burned and help prevent low blood sugar in the night for our little sugar babies. 
Grayson had one anyway.

Though the next day we got this. That almost never happens and it makes me oddly amused when it does. The top is the finger poke blood sugar number (his target range is 80-180 so this is slightly high but no big deal) and the bottom is his continuous glucose monitor which he wears 24 hours a day and the sensor in his arm beams to this little do-dad and tells us his number every 5 minutes. Because a lot can change in 5 minutes, and because of how it reads it is rarely exactly the same. 

One of the kids VERY favorite place is across this bridge.
I love how Torin walks, such purpose. Usually there is a bit of a hop in there too as if he has just that little extra energy that he needs to use with every step. 

Fairy Land. 
The kids went their with their counselors and made fairy houses. They were so excited to show us the cool houses they and the other kids had made. 

The aftermath of all that walking and playing in flip flops. lol Leanne had said that we would be filthy at camp. I really didn't get it. I guess it's been a while since I camped at all much less with little kids. Coming home I was tempted to burn the bags of clothes and start over, rather than touch them all to wash them. That bad. Seriously. blech.  

Wednesday we piled in the car after breakfast for a family trip to Hume Lake. We ate a fun lunch at the shack skipping the milk shakes because the little kids and I are dairy free and all the dairy was catching up in their little bodies and Torin in particular wasn't a happy camper. After lunch we rented a boat to go see the lake. I wasn't sure how that would go and as soon as Grayson stepped in and it rocked I had my answer. He started shreiking that he wanted out and it was scary and he wanted to walk. oy. We continued on and eventually he calmed a bit.

 Brennan managed to show everyone on the lake that he does indeed cry, when he is hungry and especially when you stick a life jacket on him. Nursing in life jackets proved interesting, I had to completely undo mine but the lake wasn't very deep where we were so I figured I'd take my chances. 

We found a big rock with a sandy-ish beach and decided to stop and play a bit. 
Torin found this cute little lizard with an electric blue tail. Zack caught him so the boys could see him longer and closer and all was well until his part of his tail got pulled off by one of the boys. We let him go. Poor guy.  

We were not on the beach long when Grayson announced he had to use the restroom... Zack loaded him back in the boat (shrieks again) and set out for the dock. As soon as he started to row against the wind and current the oars popped out of the oar locks and Zack fell backwards into G, slightly smashing him and rocking the boat. SHRIEKS heard for miles I am sure. I couldn't help but laugh except that the oars continued to do that every time Zack put any weight into them. It was slow going and G was yelling the entire time. Eventually Zack was out of sight. 

A bit later Zack walked up to us on the beach, he had ditched the boat because it was taking too long because of the oars not staying put and he just left it on the beach and took G. He left us to go take the boat back. While we were playing on the beach some of our camp counselors came by and stopped near us in their boat. They played in the water a bit and eventually left. I was watching them do the exact same thing with the oars while trying to leave against the current and falling all over the place. I kind of laughed but I remember thinking how unsafe that was. 

The kids played on the beach for what seemed like an hour and eventually Zack came back. He looked dazed. I asked what was wrong. He said he had gotten in the boat to take it back and because it was windy he had put his whole weight into rowing and the oars jumped out and he flew back in the boat and cracked the base of his skull/neck on the plywood seat behind him. He had passed out. When he came to he wasn't sure if he would be able to move or not, that he was sure he had hit hard enough to break his neck and was surprised he hadn't. 


We packed up and slowly made our way back to our car. Zack had a pretty massive headache. That night he was looked at by the doctor at camp and ultimately the next day after looking dazed (and not being able to answer the basic questions like what year is it) for 12+ hours the doctor was concerned he might have a slow bleed or something that wouldn't be found without a CTscan, so he was taken down the mountain to Fresno an hour and a half away. 

He has post concussion syndrome, which is fancy for "you hit you head really hard dummy". He could have dizziness, nausea and possibly vomiting for up to a few weeks. Luckily, another one of our favorite counselors drove him and he kept her busy writing all of his funny quips. 

While Zack was down the hill, the counselors were rarely away from my side or not taking some of my kids away to play. BMC has brought together some of the best and sweetest people to be counselors and I feel fortunate to have met them. I tried to get a few to come home with me and be live in nannies by they declined. :) 

This is Carter with the boys and I at the pond. 

Cassie  with the big boys on the last day. Oh Jaxon, that face! 

Megan and the bigs. 

Part of coming to camp was for Grayson to see other diabetic kids doing the same stuff and using the same equipment and such. I had set two very reachable goals that we had talked about but he had been reluctant to do. 1) a shot in his tushie. He likes to use his tiny arms. And the cgm is in one so for 1-2.5 weeks we can only use one arm for the shots. 

Finally, on the last day he let me give his breakfast shot in his tushie. Yay Grayson!! 

The second thing I felt we should try was to move the cgm SOMEWHERE, ANYWHERE else. The inserter for the sensor is a little intimidating and scares him so we haven't pushed it but I really wanted some more options. At one of the Coffee Talks I had spent some time talking to Cassie and Michael who is diabetic and has a cgm as well as a pump, both in his belly at the moment. I asked if he would be willing to show G this and help with a new insert and location. He agreed. 

So also, the last day G let us (sort of. There was a bribe of $7 and ultimately a backpack for bravery) While it was a bit of a pinch at the time, once he got used to it he admitted he thought he liked it better than his arm! woohoo! 

We had a lovely time BMC! Thanks for everything! We learned so much and had a blast in the process. 

No comments: